Canadian largest dating
CN Telegraphs began co-operating with its Canadian Pacific owned rival CPR Telegraphs in the 1930s, sharing telegraph networks and co-founding a teleprinter system in 1957.
In 1967 the two services were amalgamated into a joint venture CNCP Telecommunications which evolved into a telecoms company. In 1923 CNR's second president, Sir Henry Thornton who succeeded David Blyth Hanna (1919–1922), created the CNR Radio Department to provide passengers with entertainment radio reception and give the railway a competitive advantage over its rival, CP.
In 1915, facing bankruptcy, GNWTC was acquired by the Canadian Northern Railway's telegraph company.
When Canadian Northern was nationalized in 1918 and amalgamated into Canadian National Railways in 1921, its telegraph arm was renamed the Canadian National Telegraph Company.
Canadian railways built and operated their own resort hotels, ostensibly to provide rail passengers travelling long distances a place to sleep overnight.
These hotels became attractions in and of themselves – a place for a rail passenger to go for a holiday.
The Canadian National Railways (CNR) was incorporated on June 6, 1919, comprising several railways that had become bankrupt and fallen into federal government hands, along with some railways already owned by the government.
The absorption of the Intercolonial Railway would see CNR adopt that system's slogan The People's Railway.